Tuesday, May 29, 2012

When the Storm Comes


My last blog was on the codependent personality and recovery....and I know I am not the only one out there that feels this creeping up now and then. I do try everyday to realize that I know right from wrong and doing the right thing in life, will always lead me to a place of comfort and knowing when others in my life waiver, I am ok in myself as I know it is not my issue but theirs. I was blessed to have brunch with a special person last week who reminded me of this that when others are in storms they become afraid, but doesn't always mean that I need to judge them or their behavior, but there might be something deeper going on.

I look at last weeks codependent day and asked myself these questions. Did I do anything to provoke the anger? Did I do anything wrong to allow this person to be suspicious? If the answers are no, then probably they are dealing with "storms" and the only way they know how to deal with it....is to "VENT"

Storms will do that. Sometimes, when the negativity of a storm buffets our world we all have a tendancy to get snappy, nasty, blame, become defensive and feel we are truely valid, after all, we are in a storm and everyone needs should understand. I am a firm beleiver that LIFE just brings storms sometimes, uninvited and unexpected, just the same, you have to ride it out. Sometimes if its our health, we panic, and feel the pressure of getting older or feeling helpless. If its stress related and we are not getting adequate amounts of sleep, we tend to be impatient, restless, non focused or competitive. Then you add the feelings on top of the issue at hand, and sometimes it causes us to react to the ones we love negatively and bark a little louder then usual sometimes hurting the ones we love. We don't mean to, but somewhere, we think, they love me the most and will always be the most forgiving.

As I got on FB yesterday.......I popped onto a page of a friend who stated she was hiking....(why anyone would want to hike on purpose) 8.2 mils or something sounds like torture...anyhoo......just the four of us she said . . . "Me and my Daddy, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. I argued a little, talked and cried a lot, but then I listened while they reminded me of things they've already told me. Then they helped me pick up the weapons they had designed just for me so that I could fight a few battles." I was reminded.......Listen was the key! The Key to enduring any storm or battle in her words. And the other amazing key.....was when she said "they reminded me of things they've already told me." WOW......how many times have I been TOLD....and know........but somehow I expect a different answer in the storm.

Funny how when the storm is raging........we panic and reach for something fast to fix it all and make the sun come back out again. BUT, the strength and wisdom that can be obtained during the storm is the important factor to remember. It is always HOW you come out on the other side. What have you learned? How different will you treat people? How important are the relationships you have? What can you do to be a better mom, person, wife, or friend?

There are alot of people in the midst of the storms. It is all around us. We sometimes have no choice on the path we are on but to allow the rain, thunder and lightening buffet our tiny boat on the seas of life.......but when the storm passes, the seas calm and the sun shines again......what kind of person will be left in the boat. Hopefully, more compassionate, patient, loving, observant, giving, kind and more filled with the "fruits". So bloggers and readers if you too, are in a storm, may strength and peace find you today until you see the sun shining again. Don't let the storm swallow you.......take one day at a time........and on the other side be determined to change!!! So, until..........


No comments:

Post a Comment